With three days in San Jose, you can relax into the city’s natural rhythm, which blends the sounds of tropical birdsong, bustling markets, and salsa beats. You’ll have plenty of time to take in the key sights, including Costa Rica’s lush rain forest, volcanic peaks, and coffee farms. Here’s how.
Highway 4, Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui , 3069
Sarapiqui is a large area covering several reserves and national parks, including Braulio Carrillo National Park and the Sarapiqui Protected Zone, in the province of Heredia, where Costa Rica meets Nicaraguan at the border. It’s a popular place for adventure tours, including white-water rafting and ziplining, with most excursions departing from the town of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui or San Jose, Costa Rica’s capital.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Adventure tours are best suited for active types.
- Activities in the area are not suitable for very young children.
- For rafting trips, wear secure footwear and swimsuit under your clothes—you will get wet.
- Keep an eye out for macaws, monkeys, iguanas, and sloths when you’re there.
How to Get There
The Sarapiqui Canopy is located in northern Costa Rica in Heredia Province. It’s accessible as part of a day trip from San Jose, or by staying in the region itself. Tours leaving from Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui do not provide transport.
When to Get There
High season in Costa Rica is the winter months, December to April, when the weather is usually warm and dry. Rain is more likely from May onward when rural areas can get very muddy.
Visit San Jose’s Children’s Museum If you’re planning a vacation with your kids in Costa Rica, a visit to the Children’s Museum in San Jose is a must. With 40 rooms dedicated to children’s learning through interactive exhibits, there’s plenty to entertain kids for a couple of hours. Even adults will be impressed with the wide range of information on display, covering topics from space travel to the human body, and there’s even a small farm area.
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Poas Volcano National Park
- Orosi River Valley (El Valle del Rio Orosi)
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- Children's Museum (Museo de los Ninos)
- Jade Museum (Museo del Jade)
- Yellow House (Casa Amarilla)
- Metallic Building (Ed)ificio Metálico)
- San Jose Central Market (Mercado Central)
- Gold Museum
- Plaza de la Cultura
- National Museum (Museo Nacional)
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional)
- La Sabana Park
- Costa Rican Art Museum (Museo de Arte Costarricense)